- 1 lb fresh pigeon Peas, shelled and rinsed or 15 Oz. cab of boiled pigeon peas
- 12 cups water pinch of salt
- 1 lb boneless beef for stew, cut in one-inch cubes
- 4 oz diced cooking ham
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil 1 cubanel pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 tsp ground garlic
- 1 tbsp capers
- 6 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup green olives stuffed with peppers or onions, diced
- 1 1/2 cups medium-grain white rice
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut in bite-size cubes
- If using canned pigeon peas, bring to a boil and save for later.
- If using fresh pigeon peas, rinse, put in a large saucepan, add 8 cups of water the beef, & bring to a simmer, cook for about 30 minutes.
- Add the diced cooked ham, stir & cook for 15 minutes more. While the peas, beef & ham mixture are in the last minutes of cooking set another pan.
- In a large saucepan warm the vegetable oil at medium heat. Add the tomato, bell pepper, cubanel pepper & onion saute for a few minutes.
- Stir, add all the remaining ingredients, saute for another minutes.
- Add the sauteed mix to the peas, beef & ham mixture. If using canned peas, add the peas at this time.
- Add 4 cups of water, the rice & cook for about 10 minutes
- Add the potatoes, simmer until the rice & potatoes are cooked.
Recommended cookbook: Puerto Rican Cookery